Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Stress


When we lived in Provo, right after we were married, I worked as a Birth Mother caseworker at an adoption agency in Orem, UT in order to graduate. I was taking a full load of credits at BYU, I was the only one working to pay our rent and bills at a local elementary school about 25 hours a week, and I was also doing this full-time, unpaid internship at an adoption agency where they needed me to be available 24/7. I'd wake up and rush to work, eat a late lunch while driving in the car the 25 minute commute to Orem, spend all afternoon running birth mothers to doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, Medicaid appointments, filling out paperwork, selecting/meeting with their adoptive families, answering phone calls at the agency, and basically never stopping. I'd come home around 6 or 6:30 p.m., make a quick dinner for Jonathan and then run to my evening classes that ended at 9 p.m. Then I'd start studying and working on assignments and papers until midnight. It was awesome. I dreaded my cell phone ringing because like I said, I had to be available 24/7 if the BM (Birth Mother) went into labor, needed emotional support, or just craved ice cream with pickles. Seriously. When I completed my internship I think I turned off my cell phone for a month. On principle. Just so I didn't have to answer it when I was right in the middle of something. If I had to do a delivery during the middle of the day when I was supposed to be at work, I was being paid hourly so we lost all of those wages from the day. Thus, our little grocery budget was literally cut in half with one lost day, and unfortunately there were lots. That was stressful.

After I completed the 460 hours required in the internship, I started having all of these doctor appointments because my blood pressure was so crazy high. The doctors were flabbergasted because I was young and otherwise healthy, and I was thinking, "Duh!" But after doing all kinds of lab work they were 99% positive I had a tumor on my adrenal gland, so they told me under no circumstances could I get pregnant, but they immediately took me off my birth control pill and assured me it was highly unlikely I'd get pregnant right away because the hormones would last in my bloodstream for months until they could figure something else out. Welcome Baby Lucy!! I got pregnant, and the real fun started. I went to various doctor's appointments probably 2 or 3 times a WEEK my ENTIRE pregnancy to figure out what was wrong. First in Provo before we graduated from BYU, then in Boise, ID while Jonathan was away for 8 weeks at Officer's Training for the Air Force (COT- the picture is of him coming home), and then at 7 months pregnant when I switched doctor's yet again and moved to Philadelphia. I showed up to my first appointment a total mess-- we'd been there 3 days and I'd gotten lost in Cheltenham (pretty much the ghetto) for 45 minutes driving aimlessly GPS-less until I found the right freeway and finally made it an hour late. At 36 weeks I was checked into the hospital because my blood pressure was getting higher (pre-eclampsia) and I had Lucy! That was stressful.

So, now we've survived almost 4 stressful years of dental school, having two kids away from family and without any help, worked in various callings in the Church here (Young Men's president, Sunday School president, Ward Clerk to name a few of Jon's), and I won't even mention the second year because that was stress that goes without saying, and now in 2 1/2 months we're finally ready to move on!! We set our move date for the day after Jon's graduation-- May 14th, because we pay rent from the 15th to the 15th, and who wants to pay for an extra month of rent if they don't have to, plus Jon's parents were going to be here to help with the move. We assumed we could move whenever we wanted and would just have to let the Air Force moving company know. We've spent hours planning and dreaming and figuring out how to get our family of 4 from A to B, and what we want to do first. Well, welcome to the military. Apparently you have to move 1-2 weeks before you start date (which is according to your orders and called your "Proceed Date"), which for us isn't until August 5th. Yea. So does that mean we have to wait here until August?!? I think we're both done mentally and physically here, and had our hearts set on moving into our first house as soon as graduation was over. So know we're trying to figure out how to salvage our summer plans (Disneyland, Sea World, Southern Utah, Island Park, etc.) and plane tickets, whether or not we pay to just move ourselves, how to get from A to B again, and basically how to get unstuck from Philly!! Now this is stressful....

12 comments:

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Sometimes I wonder why life just can't be easier!!! Sounds stressful!!! We stayed around most of the summer in Florida because James's program did not start until August. We moved at the end of July and I hated being there all summer when everybody else had moved and was making $ !! I totally understand just being DONE and ready to move on!! I hope it all works out!
ps you deserve a massage or something!

Joan Morris said...

It will all work out. Just remember it is all in Heavenly Father's timing. He's aware of your situation and just take it a day at a time. I liked your idea to take the month of June off fly out to Boise, and Selah and party and then have Jon and Taylor fly back to Philly and drive across the country. Sounds like a great road trip for Taylor :)

Tom said...

Dude, I would like put all my stuff in storage, buy like an old motor home or van, and then do like a "slow burn" from Philly to Vegas in like 3 months and just stay in every campground in between. Give that husband of yours what he has been missing and those little kids something they will never forget. You meet the most interesting people in campgrounds and RV parks. Need money on the way? Just ask Uncle Aaron Gabe for some tips, he's a pro. C'mon, you are only young and poor once!!

teresa said...

that does sound stressful! it's amazing how life changes, but there is always something to be dealt with! one thing i've learned is that somehow, things work out. maybe not always the way we like, but eventually things end, and you're onto your next adventure. all i know is that i'm sure going to miss you guys when you go! hugs and prayers, and be sure to let us know how we can help!

Gene and Silvia said...

Hang in there kiddos! You all are amazing and like your Mom says "It will all work out. Just remember it is all in Heavenly Father's timing." Just keep thinking graduation and "Disney World", here we come! :) We love you all!

em said...

Okay, I love that RV park road trip idea--TOTALLY DO IT. And make sure you stop in Cheyenne along the way. You can crash with us as long as you want. Talk about a total change of pace and scenery! Cheyenne is IT, baby.

Emily Judd said...

wow! talk about stress. I never really knew the whole story. I'm sorry about waiting until August. Hopefully something works out. And yes, you should get a massage!

Sarah Ringer said...

Oh that IS stressful! What a pain! I'm excited that when it's all said and done you guys will be in LV and we can visit you guys when we fly back there on holidays! Keep us updated and good luck!

Unknown said...

That TOTALLY stinks! I like Joan's idea though. It just stinks you have to pay rent. Maybe you can put your stuff in storage for the summer... OR, you could just move anyway like planned and write it off on your taxes next year. :) It will all work out. We're just so excited to have you closer (again)!

Sarah said...

Holy cow. You have had to deal with a lot! I'm sorry your plans got messed up. But you have to put your stuff in storage one way or another, right? Maybe just leave your stuff there and go party for 3 months. I just hope I can trash my way into some of those summer plans. You're welcome to come crash with us whenever you want if you decide to follow your dad's dreams and travel the country.

Alissa said...

Bummmmmer. I never knew the full extent of all that crazy stuff you went through in your early years of marriage! And now...now. I'm sorry your dreams were dashed with the moving date:( Like they say, it'll all work out...Plus, I'll be here until the end of June! I'll stick by you! ;) love ya girl!

jor said...

Oh no! That is ridiculous! I'm sorry! Hopefully it will all work out better than the original plan!