Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Serendipity and the Shark Reef

I may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but Jon's mom came to town to visit on August 4th for a few days, spent a week in St. George visiting her mom, and is now back with Jon's dad visiting for another couple of days before they leave on the 19th. We've been able to do a lot of fun things with them around, including checking out Serendipity III down at Caesar's Palace.

I have heard SO much about the Frozen Hot Chocolate (and I too have seen the movie), but it was just one of those places we never got around to visiting in NYC. So I was ecstatic when I heard there was another one here in Las Vegas!

I've heard there's always a terrible wait at the original in NYC no matter when you go, so I was relieved that we only had a 30 minute wait here. We did have to wait outside in the 110 degree heat, but there were misters...and entertainment!! There was a drug bust/prostitution take-down going on right on the Strip in front of everyone. By the time we got buzzed to go in there were like 6 more police cars. Sweet! I guess what happens in Vegas....

We decided to try the Loaded Potato Skins for our appetizer, which were great, and then the pies de resistance, the Frozen Hot Chocolate!

I gotta admit though, I wasn't all that impressed! It was big enough to share, but it did cost $15 and tasted like watered down chocolate milk. I've had better hot chocolate from McDonald's. So yeah, kind of disappointing. But now I can say I've tried it, right?

Duh dun, duh dun, duh duh duh duh duh (pretend that was the music from JAWS)!! On Monday Grandma and Grandpa Cardon took the kids to the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay to beat the heat.

They had lots of reptiles, amphibians, drunk people, and some humongous fish!! Oh yea! And sharks! It was a pretty cool display.

My favorite is always the "Shark Alley" where you get to walk through a clear tunnel and sharks are all around you, below you, above you, etc. Freaky!

The kids enjoying some one-on-one time with Grandma and Grandpa!

These guys sure love their fishies!

12 comments:

teresa said...

oh my gosh, you're having so much fun! a bummer about the hot chocolate though. sometimes those types of things that are so hyped up can be the biggest disappointments. it makes me wonder how it ever got famous in the first place! keep blogging, i love it!

Joan Morris said...

That hot chocolate looks so yummy, I guess that old adage "You can't judge a book by it's cover", rings true. I guess I'll save my $15 for some other delicious treat :) It is a really cute picture of you and that yummy treat though :)

Unknown said...

That hot chocolate actually looks really tasty...too bad it just didn't deliver. You look really awesome, BTW!

Matt, Calli, & Dixon said...

Ahhh how fun! I love the shirt you are wearing in your frozen hot chocolate pic! You look so good in it!...and can I just say that Zachy is getting so big!!!! He has already changed so much! I wish they would stop growing! Miss you!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

I love the frozen cocoa! You have to try it with the scoop of ice cream!! I totally want to go to the shark reef place!

Tamar and Trevor said...

I love your hair cut!

Kay Hinton said...

Shonna and I had the frozen hot chocolate in NY's Serendipity. We really liked it. Maybe you got a bad batch. The picture is worth the $15 though. Very cute.

Emily Judd said...

oh man, even though you didn't like the frozen hot chocolate, I'll probably still try it if I'm ever there. I have had a delicious frozen hot chocolate from Dairy Queen though. Maybe I should just save the $15 and buy 5 or 6 from dairy queen!

Emily Judd said...

oh ya and by the way your hair looks SO cute in the hot chocolate picture. Oh, and am I going to see you Labor Day weekend in Boise?

jor said...

Hey! I have that same green old navy shirt! We can be twins....except your haircut is so much cuter than mine..I always love your hair. Anyway, I tried to go to Seredipity my last NYC trip and the line was really really long and the actual restaurant was this dingy dark hole in the wall, extremely crowded, tiny place so we decided not to stay. So you didn't miss anything in NYC :) I remember Tamar telling me Holly Sanders has a really yummy homemade hot chocolate recipe....I bet you could make a delicious one yourself!

Sarah said...

It cost $15?!? I swear that is twice the price of the one in NYC. Vegas is getting so expensive...

Alissa said...

How adorable are you?! I LOVE the pic of you with your frozen hot chocolate! CUTE!!! Bummer that it wasn't very good though!