Saturday, December 4, 2010

Birthday Bash Blow-Out!

We celebrated Lucy's birthday with a huge bash, and okay, the blow-out part is for the fact that the chocolate cake I made yesterday EXPLODED for no reason in the oven and then caught on fire. Really. I have absolutely NO idea why or how that happened, except to say that my baking chemistry must have been seriously off! Anyway, that's another story...

Lucy woke up bright and early and came downstairs to find-- a new BIKE!! Ta-dah! She has been wanting a bike for quite a long time, but where in our apartment in Philly would we have put such a thing?? So it was a life lesson that good things come to those who wait.:)

She then got to open the rest of her presents from mom and dad and Zachy. She has been begging for a pet lately, and since neither Jonathan nor I are animal folk-- she got a robotic kitty instead. She seemed just as elated!

The Ariel doll she has been wanting forever from the $$ in the package Grandma and Grandpa Cardon sent! So excited! Thank you!

Lucy's two favorite things are princesses and picnics, so we decided to combine the two and have a princess picnic birthday party! She invited some friends from preschool and some friends from her Sunbeam class and they started things off with their picnic lunch, and then made beaded bracelets, and then decorated graham cracker houses with candy. I think more candy went into their tummies than on their houses, but just when I got them good and sugared up it was time for them to go home to their parents.:)

She loved opening presents, which was by far the highlight of her party!!


Lucy wanted a pig cake for her birthday, which was somewhat traumatizing for me. I have never (and will never) claim to be a cake decorator, or even artistic for that matter, so I studied this cake out for months in advance. I was going to try my hand at fondant, but the $20 investment scared me because I had about a 50/50 chance at success, so I went with some basic buttercream. It looks like a cake I made in 5th grade for a cake walk, but she seemed to like it, and it does scream, "PIG!" after all.

Happy 4th Birthday!! Blow out the candles!!

The princesses: Gabby, Julia, Hailey, Paisley, and Lucy.

After the party we got dinner at Lucy's favorite fancy restaurant, Olive Garden. She love love loves spaghetti and salad, and requested this dinner months ago.

Time for bed as an official 4-year old! She got this hand-made princess quilt from Grandma Joanie for her birthday and LOVES it. It was perfect too because this week the letter in preschool was "Q," and for Show and Tell they were supposed to bring in their favorite quilt to share so Lucy brought this one. WE LOVE YOU BIRTHDAY GIRL!

11 comments:

Gene and Silvia said...

Happy Happy Birthday Lucy !! you will always be a princess in our eyes.

Tom said...

Love the pig cake. And how cool is that when the pig cake actually expodes and starts on fire in the oven! (Methane gas build up?)That's like totally awesome! Had I known that, I would have had you make me one for my birhtday instead of that (by comparison) boring mud pie.

Joan Morris said...

It does look like a birthday bash blow out! What a fun party with just the right number of attendees! I'm so happy to learn that one of Lucy's favorite things is picnics. No wonder we get a long so well ;)
I love the pig cake. It turned out awesome, good job figuring out how to make it.
Zachy looks a little nervous in that picture with Lucy riding the bike.

Kay Hinton said...

Sara, that pig cake is darling and looks exactly like the pigs Grandpa Gabe used to draw for us to entertain us at church when we were little. It's a heritage pig cake. I love it. And, of course she loves picnics. She's her Grandma Joanie's girl. What a great birthday and what a great post about it.

Unknown said...

OKAY. So......
1. Happy BIRTHDAY, LUCY! We're glad it was a fun day. We're sad we didn't get to talk to her. Maybe we can do a webcam session soon?

2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE brining turkeys...your feast looks amazing.

3. I am so super jealous of your kitchen. It looks so HUGE. I need more space in mine to really get my chef on!

4. How fun that you're finding all kinds of adventures to do in Vegas. We hope we can come visit soon!

5. LOVE the pig cake.

Sarah said...

I think the cake is awesome. Way more complicated that I will ever attempt. I thought that was fun that she loves picnics so much! Nature or nurture, I can't quite decide.

James and Tricia Thomas said...

You did a great job on the cake!!! I love the quilt your mom made it's the perfect gift!! Happy birthdy Lucy!

Matt, Calli, & Dixon said...

Happy Birthday Luce!!!! She looked like she had a great birthday and her pig cake is awesome...kudos to you!!! Maybe if we had been there I could have dressed up Dixon in a prince outfit....all the princesses would love that, right!!! hahah So cute!!! Miss ya!

teresa said...

aw, i can't believe she's four already, what a cute big girl!! i love the pig cake, you did a great job on it. we sure miss you guys!

Emily Judd said...

ug I've totally had a cake explode on me as well...multiple times now. i just never know how full to fill the cake since every batter is different. grrr. I think the pig cake turned out great and I don't blame you for not wanting to try fondant. Maybe next time we're both in Boise I'll give you a fondant lesson or something?! when are you in Boise next??

oh and Happy Birthday Lucy!!!

Annette said...

Happy birthday Lucy! (Great job on the cake Sara :)