Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

The state of Virginia also has a Santa Claus, and this we know for a fact, because a week before Christmas found us traveling to Richmond, VA for a visit. But first we enjoyed a lovely Christmas concert performed by Lucy and her pre-schoolmates.

They did the ABC's of Christmas, and since she goes to a Christian school, it was a totally religious program which was GREAT. They learned lots of religious songs and Lucy had been practicing them at home for weeks. Her favorites were "Away in a Manger" and "Silent Night." It was so sweet to see all those little 4 and 5 year old's singing so sincerely about Baby Jesus!
The cutest one up there! I was sure glad the Christmas dress Grandma Cardon sent last year still fit, because that was their "costume." A few days later my mom and sister Whitney flew into Raleigh, and since by that point you're already halfway to Richmond, we decided to drive the rest of the way that night.
Which served more than one purpose. I have been taking a Les Mills Body Pump class (a barbell class to choreographed music) for a couple of years, and started thinking about a year ago to make it a goal to someday become an instructor. I thought maybe in a few years after I was done having kids... But then the lady in charge of Group Fitness at the new gym we go to here approached me and asked if I'd like to get certified to teach Body Pump for her. Like, ASAP since one of her instructors had just quit. So I talked it over with Jon and decided to go for it. A month after that conversation I was signed up and preparing for the 2-day training in Warrenton, VA, about 2 1/2 hours northwest of Richmond. And since I'd have built-in babysitters with my mom and Whitney around that weekend, I guess it was meant to be.
We got to Devin and Sarah's on Thursday night, and spent Friday shopping for Christmas presents and buying cupcakes (you know, carbo-loading for me since my training started the next day) from "Frostings," a cupcake shop that just competed on "Cupcake Wars" (the "Wicked" episode). Hey, I'm a nervous eater!
That night Devin and Sarah took us on the "Tacky Light Tour" which Richmond is notorious for. I'd seen the TV specials on TLC in the past, but seriously, NOTHING could have prepared me for how insane these houses were!! In fact, you can see some of them from space!
One house had a donation box out with a sign saying they spend THOUSANDS on their power bill for December just to continue this holiday tradition. I'm not sure it's worth it, although my kids were THRILLED with all the beautiful lights.
Early Saturday morning I headed to Warrenton for the longest 2 days of my life (to date). I think honestly it was the most physically taxing thing I've ever done, aside from giving birth. But I PASSED!! I didn't even get Pass-Withheld (which means you have to team teach), but am cleared to teach for 3 months until I submit my video (I have to teach a perfect 60 minute class by myself) and am officially certified. Aaah!! But luckily while I was doing Body Pump for 12 hours a day, Auntie Whitney was taking over on childcare.
They read stories, played the iPad, made treats, saw Santa at the mall, and that night they visited some more houses on the tour. This homeowner apparently dresses up in a Grinch costume. Whitney pointed him out to Zach right away because she knew he'd be a little scared, and thought he'd seen him, but I guess when he walked up to say "hi" Zach FREAKED out!
He warmed up though, to the point that he gave ol' Grinchy Fingers a high-five! But now all you have to do is mention "Grinch Fingers" and Zach goes running!
I got back from my training, barely able to walk, but alive late Sunday night. Monday morning we got lunch at Buzz and Ned's BBQ (from "Throwdown with Bobby Flay") and Whitney, the kids, and I headed back to North Carolina that afternoon. It was a great trip!

5 comments:

Emily Judd said...

You are just too cool! Congrats on the body pump!!!

Joan Morris said...

Good job on the Body Pump! You will be a great instructor. Your kids were so good for us while you were gone. Drop them by anytime;)

Gene and Silvia said...

How funny that Zachy is terrified of the Grinch. Love the first picture of Luce singing so seriously with her little preschool classmates :)

Sarah said...

Your blogs are always so well-written and entertaining. Great post! Love the Grichy fingers!

Kay Hinton said...

I love that picture of Lucy and her classmates singing. That should be in a magazine or something. Congrats on getting certified . . or almost. They sure held that at a busy time of year!