Sunday, September 2, 2012

School Daze!

I'm officially an empty-nester this year. At least for 3 hours a day. And only for the next 2 1/2 months (or until the new baby arrives). But at least for now, I have no children at home to keep me company from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and that is because Zachary became a big preschool boy!

Is he not the absolute most adorable 3 year old preschooler you ever saw?!?
I enrolled him on a whim at the same Baptist preschool Lucy attended last year, and although I only really wanted to send him 2 or 3 days a week, they only offered a 4 day a week program, so it's a little much, but it is what it is. So far he's been very hot and cold in his response to school-- unlike Lucy who could have done preschool 24/7, Zach is definitely more of a homebody. We shall see how this next month progresses! If he just isn't liking it enough to justify the running around I do with both of them in school then I'll pull him out, but for right now, he's been mostly happy when I pick him up at the end of the morning and asks if he can go back. Yea!
As for this girl, she was born ready for kindergarten. She has jumped in with both feet to being at school from 7:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. and seems to love every minute. It's been bittersweet for me, because basically I miss her, but it is nice to know she's learning and being with friends and doing what she really loves to be doing.
Her teacher's name is Mrs. White, and again, I've just been amazed at how easily she has adjusted to the loooong days, eats up the homework, talks non-stop about her school friends and recess, is fascinated by school lunch in the cafeteria, and is adamant that she WANTS to ride the school bus home! I walked her into the school the first 2 days, and by day 3 she saw a friend and ditched me like it was no big deal to find her classroom and get her stuff all put away. Awwwww, Luce! She's 5 years old going on 15. Hooray for kindergarten!

6 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Oh, she looks so grown up. I'm glad she likes it. Did you cry a tear or two? Why do kids have to grow up so fast...?

Unknown said...

Oh Lucy...I think she's been going on 15 for a while. She's always been such a smart and mature girl for her age. And how fun to have a few hours to yourself every day. It's like having naptime back all over again. You will LOVE that time when the new baby comes, I'm sure. Miss you guys.

Emily Judd said...

I seriously can't believe it. All day kindergarten AND 4 days of preschool? That will make things pretty nice when baby comes along. But I can't stand how sad it is that our kids are growing up :(

teresa said...

okay, first off, i can't believe lucy is in school, and secondly, zach is so cute i can barely stand it. isn't that 3 hours just glorious! i get that now too and soak up every minute. enjoy!

jor johnson said...

I am so so so behind in all things blogging so had fun catching up on yours! Lucy is one darling kindergartner! And lots of congrats on your growing baby girl! I've never had a 3d ultrasound either but my sister did and it was crazy amazing what you can see! She looks darling already and I am curious to see who she looks more like :)

Sarah said...

I can't believe she's in kindergarten! That outfit is adorable, by the way.