Monday, September 10, 2012

Soccer Star!

Now this is a post Uncle Taylor would truly be proud of! Last spring I got it in my head that I should put Lucy in soccer this fall, in an effort to give her the full gamut of childhood experiences. We'd done ballet and tap in Vegas, so I figured it was time to try out her sportier side.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?!? Our first big meltdown was over the fact that the jersey was orange, not pink or purple. The second big meltdown was over the fact that she absolutely did NOT want to get sweaty and stinky!! That would be disgusting.
We finally convinced her to check it out and just see if maybe she could like soccer. We arrived and there were TONS of kids. I thought she'd be assigned a team with just a couple of kids, but I guess the way they do it now is they have all 50 kids show up, they have the parents coach them to do drills for 30 min., then they split them into smaller groups and have them scrimmage for 30 min. That's what I paid $90 for?!?
It was kind of a joke. Lucy wanted nothing to do with it. I knew I should have just stuck her in gymnastics!!
She actually did really well when it was time to scrimmage. She was fairly aggressive and went after the ball and seemed to have fun.
But she was NOT happy (despite the happy smile in the picture) to be hot and sweaty afterwards. She's quite a character.
Her jersey number is in honor of Uncle Taylor since he always wore that number during basketball season-- so she felt pretty cool about that.
Maybe we'll try this little guy next in soccer and let Luce stick to dance!

7 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Go Lucy!! Uncle Taylor will definitely like this post especially since Lucy is wearing number 22. Lucy may grow to like soccer, and if not, there's always gymnastics to try ;)

teresa said...

this made me laugh so hard because i know for a fact i'd be going through the EXACT same thing with jayda, starting with the jersey. it's always good to at least offer the chance though right?

she sure makes a cute little soccer player.

Gene and Silvia said...

Our Luce looks so grown up playing soccer :) Remind her that orange is a Halloween color and she may think that's cool.

Unknown said...

Ha ha. This post makes me laugh. I would think that Lucy would be so naturally good at sports, and would therefore love it. I thought it was too funny that she wasn't happy about the jersey not being pink and that she got all hot and sweaty. What a funny Lucy! She is definitely a girly girl through and through.

Becca said...

That is so funny! What a girl :)

Kay Hinton said...

I'm just trying to picture all of those little boys in pink or purple jerseys. I think I like it!

Tom said...

I'm with Lucy on this one. Orange is a stupid color.