Saturday, October 26, 2013

Things Are Getting Spooky Around Here!

This weekend was very Halloween-y. We missed Lucy's school Trunk or Treat while we were in Pennsylvania, so to make up for the tragic loss of candy we headed to Jon's work Trunk or Treat at Pope Air Force Base on Friday night. The kids were soooo excited to finally have an excuse to don their costumes.
 Little Zach-O finally narrowed his costume choices down to the one and only Batman! Doesn't he look tough?
  Lu decided to be a witch. In her own words: "I want to be a good witch, but a little bit scary, but mostly beautiful!" Just try and impress your 6 year old with THAT make-up demand!
 And together they formed one awesome crime-fighting, er, candy collecting team!
 Just had to nab one more shot of those beautiful blue eyes! I love my little super hero. I'm going to be so sad the day he stops really believing he has super powers when he puts his costume on.
 We got there a little early so we could decorate our trunk. I wish I had been a little more creative and prepared with our decorations than the last minute, mad-dash, panicked trip to the Dollar Tree would indicate, but Lucy helped me set everything up and she said it looked pretty good. It was non-scary and kid-friendly at least, unlike some of the other trunks. Sheesh!  
 Aaaaand my little goober. We dressed Leah up like a Minion from Despicable Me, and she was seriously SO. CUTE! I thought for sure she'd be pulling at the hat and goggles all night, but she left them on and was such a good sport to my very pleasant surprise. She just loved being in the thick of the action.


There was even a Despicable Me trunk, so we had to get her picture with Gru and Agnes!
 There weren't very many kids, but there was TONS of candy, so it was the perfect formula for mass pandemonium: Costumes+ kids+ trick or treating+cupcakes+bounce houses= 1 AWESOME Halloween party!! Now, who says I can't do math?!? 
 Saturday afternoon the weather was crisp and cool and absolutely beautiful, and the countryside was calling our name! We decided to drive up the road and take a hayride to pick some pumpkins.
 We recruited our friends the Durtschi's to help us make it even more fun. Lizzie and Lucy get along really well, and are such cute girls! It was chilly on that ride too-- and finally beginning to feel like fall around here.
 Zach was very ready to pick the perfect pumpkin to carve into a Batman jack-o-lantern.
 My friend Nicole and I, and baby Leah, who just wanted to get down on the ground and crawl around in the hay. And pull her socks off. (She would NOT leave them on!) Achoo!
 Ta-Da! I think he actually had more fun stepping in all of the rotted pumpkins than picking his own pumpkin, since he basically chose the first one we saw.
 True to form, Lucy carefully and methodically walked around until she found a nice orange one without any bumps or bruises, and held it very gently on the hayride back (while Zach's rolled around the bottom of the wagon).
 Leah could care less which pumpkin she got as long as we let her crawl around in the dirt first!
 Happy Halloween from North Carolina!

4 comments:

Gene and Silvia said...

What wonderful memories you are making. Happy Happy Holloween!

Tom said...

Ok, that post pretty much defines "cute". I still can't decide if if blogs are good or not. Just makes me wish I was there. All I have here is Ms. Joan to scare me and ask for treats all the time.

Joan Morris said...

The kid's costumes are so cute. I love Leah's minion costume, she is so stinking cute!!! You did a good job making Lucy "a good witch, but a little bit scary, but mostly beautiful!" I can just hear her saying that. And Zach definitely looks convincing as Batman. Halloween is so fun for kids. Enjoy it!

Shonna said...

What cute kids and costumes. And I love your fall outing--autumn is so gorgeous. Have a Happy Halloween!