Friday, November 8, 2013

It Was Scary, But It Wasn't Halloween!

Scary Story No. 1:
This is a black widow spider. Want to know how I'm so certain it's the infamous black widow? Easy; I saw one. The forecast was calling for freezing temperatures on Thursday night, so as I was pulling out my petunias from the flower pots by the front door in preparation, one of the above little guys scurried out right next to my hand to say "hello." I know they're pretty common in the South East, but this is the first one I've seen. Naturally I didn't even have my shoes on to step on it, and my little Leah was playing right next to me, but at the sight of its tell-tale crimson hourglass I smashed it with a nearby broom and that was that. It just makes me sooooo much more wary to leave our strollers and beach stuff, etc., in the dark corners of the garage! Eek!

Scary Story No. 2:
The other night while I was cooking dinner, I assigned Zachary the task of watching Baby Leah. That was probably my first mistake. I had just finished pulling out some raw chicken from a Ziploc baggie, and chopped a few of the fattier pieces off and then thrown it all into the trash. Next thing I knew, I turned around to find Leah playing with the sticky chicken juice bag and she had the pieces of raw chicken stuffed in her mouth! GAG! I was totally freaked out that she was going to get food poisoning or salmonella, but the 36 hour incubation period has long since passed and gratefully, no sickies! Phew! That girl is unequivocally the cause of all these gray hairs I keep finding...

3 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Oh the chicken story is really disgusting. I'm thankful Leah's immune system is pretty healthy. I've never seen a black widow in person, SCARY!

Gene and Silvia said...

So glad both of you are ok! Spiders are icky, specially black widows and black recluses.

Unknown said...

Oh gross on both accounts! Very scary stories for sure!