Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Jon Visits Hotlanta (And leaves the rest of us poor sops at home!)

Jon recently attended the Hinman Dental Conference in Atlanta at the end of March. The conference is from Thursday to Saturday, so he left early Wednesday afternoon and got home late Saturday night. Before he left me to my doom, er, I mean, to the world of single parenting, I made him take me out to lunch at the brand-new Buffalo Wild Wings in town. 
 Out of necessity we took Zach and Leah as our rowdy lunch dates, but since it's a pretty low-key, casual place they didn't stick out too much and the food was alright. At least they provided complimentary iPads for the kids to play with, which entertained this little rascal for a few seconds.
 Id' never been to one before (Jon had been once in Fayetteville), but I would describe it as bar food, which may come as little surprise to you since it IS basically a bar. I don't care as long as it's one more restaurant to add to our ever growing rotation of dinner date places! I get sick of the same 5 restaurants all the time. Jon got the fish tacos and I had a buffalo chicken wrap and an extra large diet Pepsi. I knew I'd need it!  
 To the person who left in the comment section: "Does Leah always smile?" (Ahem! Cough! Dad!) Weeellll, funny you should ask. NO, Leah does not always smile. In fact, when she's not smiling she is screaming, crying, throwing a tantrum, or doing all three at the same time. She is absolutely convinced she is the Queen Bee (just ask the kids at the gym! Apparently she bosses them around and steals "her" favorite toys from anyone daring to play with them), and when she doesn't get her way she is quick to assert that it is HER way or the highway. So! Ha! Ha! Does Leah always smile?!? Surely you jest...  
Just picture this face for four days straight with no relief pitcher waiting in the bull pen to come relieve you at night... The kids and I made the most of our time away from Jon by visiting the playplace at Chick fil A, spending a few afternoons at the park, shopping at Aldi, frequenting the Kids Center at the gym, and spring cleaning the house! My floors never looked so good! Lucy came down with a bad cough on Friday, so she stayed home from school which was actually a big help. In fact, I bribed the kids that if they'd help me take care of the house and Leah, and be super good while Daddy was away, I'd buy them a new pet fish to replace our beloved deceased Blueberry Sparkle.  
And they did it! Saturday evening we ventured to Pet Smart and picked out this new little guy, dubbed "Rainbow Dash." Zach was convinced he ought to be named "Goldie," which makes no sense, but I love him all the more for it!
They are desperate for a pet, but since most of the pet care falls squarely on my shoulders, I'm not ready for a dog, a cat, or a hamster. Right now we like our little fish very much-- he likes to stare at me while I cook dinner which is kind of funny. He fits in already!
Meanwhile Jon was sleeping uninterrupted, enjoying the benefits of a maid to pick up after him, attending intellectually stimulating lectures, avoiding all poopy diapers, and eating out at awesome restaurants, all on the Air Force's dime! A well deserved break for him! Here's some yummy Indian food he sent me a picture of.  

He also got to eat at "The Spence," which was my one requirement for him while in Atlanta. It's the brainchild of Top Chef winner Richard Blais, and has some great reviews online. When we were in Atlanta last year we tried out his burger joint "Flip" which was excellent, so Jon had to go back and try this place which is fancier and more gastronomy based. I think he thought the food was good-- not mind-blowingly good though, and overpriced. Oh well. Next year I've convinced him the kids and I get to go with him! 

4 comments:

Christy Bateman Mathatas said...

Leah's face looks kind of familiar right now...let's see, who does it remind me of? Oh yeah, Miles! I think I remember you saying she is pretty spirited since she was born? She is so cute! Your kids are growing up so fast! Happy B-day, Jonathan!

Joan Morris said...

Whoa a blogger bonanza. That's what I get for going out of town. Lots of blogs to catch up on.
Looks like you survived single parenthood. Hopefully Leah is smiling again at the newest member of your family. Fish are pretty user friendly.

Tom said...

What did you do, steal her candy to make her cry just so you could take those pictures? I don't know about Leah, but I feel a little traumatized. Move to Boise and you will have lots more relief pitchers in your bull pen. Just sayin.

Gene and Silvia said...

What Ms. Leah Gene needs is lots of hugs, kisses, and some serious spoiling from both her grandpas and grandmas! Sure glad you made it through Jon being gone on his dental convention!