Monday, August 3, 2015

Grandma Joanie Visits Gallahadion

Right after the 4th of July, my mom flew to Denver to come see our new house. Of course, she had been with me when I came the very first time and picked it, but considering we spent a total of 10 minutes inside it, it was fun for her to get to see all the new changes we'd made in the meantime!
I put Grandma to work right away, making her bake one of her famous rhubarb pies with fresh rhubarb harvested from my garden. It was sooooo good! The inside kind of looked the color of raw meat, and Jon said, "it looks disgusting, but tastes amazing!" 
We spent the next few days organizing, rearranging furniture, decorating, shopping, and working on projects. We got burgers one night for dinner at Culvers, which we'd never been to and it was yummy!
Our biggest project was working on finishing this dresser I'd bought last summer while visiting Selah, WA. I found it in an antique shop and it was covered in a goopy black paint with red knobs. I loved the shape of it, so Jon's dad sanded all the paint off for me and fixed some of the drawers. I had my mom help me stain it, paint it with chalk paint, sand it, wax it, hand paint the designs, and pick new knobs. I LOVE how it turned out! It looks shabby chic and fits perfectly in the new house. 
My mom helped me do a "grouping" above the piano. Now I just have to decide if I want to paint it a different color.... Whitney says pianos HATE to be painted and just want to be left alone, and she would probably know considering how much time she's spent in front of one.
My mom also helped me figure out what to do with all the random space above the living room and dining room. I think those ledges look so much better than being left empty!
She helped me do this collage for our upstairs hallway, which I love!
And also helped me pick new knobs for Lucy's new desk, as well as recover the old ratty fabric on this chair with new, bright cute fabric!
She also helped me mount and frame our "Amish Country" artwork for our bedroom (in the newly and beautifully painted room thanks to Whitney-- it was originally lavender paint with olive green carpet, BLECH, so we picked a silvery gray paint with charcoal gray accents for the bay window). It's such a nice relaxing room now!
Our first family picture after church outside our Gallahadion Lane abode. Home sweet home!
Just before we left to drive to Boise for some much needed R&R, Grandma made us an amazing dark chocolate bundt cake Sunday evening, and Zachary was absolutely in heaven. Sweets are that guy's happy place. It was so fun to have Grandma Joanie come stay and see our new house! Hopefully next time she gets to stay longer than 3 days!

2 comments:

Tom said...

So that's where my chocolate bundt cake went - you stole it! I've been trying to get her to bake me one for the last 3 months. Thanks a lot guys. But hey, nice house!

Joan Morris said...

I love your new house. It was so fun helping you decorate it and seeing you in your new digs. I think you'll love Colorado! I love that dresser we redid. I can't wait for our next project.