Friday, October 30, 2015

Pumpkin Carvers Extraordinaire!

With Jon working certain evenings, plus having mutual on Tuesday nights, we had to be pretty organized this year about our pumpkin carving tradition. Wednesday night we quickly got homework done, wolfed down dinner, and got set up to carve our pumpkin patch pumpkins. The kids were soooo excited (and so was Jon)!
Jon was determined to carve his own pumpkin this year, so I got the icky job of scraping out and carving Leah and Zach's pumpkins, as well as helping Lucy do hers. She does most of it-- but still needs a little help with the details. Each of my kids had very specific designs in mind, but for some dumb reason we could not find any of the little carving knives you get with the kits!! I must have thrown them out when we moved. We were seriously stuck using these huge kitchen knives and it was next to impossible!! ((Notice Leah's panties!! She is officially potty-trained. HOORAY!!))
Therefore, while I barely squeaked out Zach's Pikachu (end right), Leah did not get "Anna" which is what she had chosen, instead she had to settle for a happy jack o'lantern (middle right). I think she was okay with it. As soon as we lit them all up she was mesmerized and loved her pumpkin anyways! 
Lucy's pumpkin is the top left, an homage to Harry Potter of course. I love that she designed it and was determined to do it herself, despite having to do it with a butcher knife, ha! I'm just glad no one got cut. Jon's is the top right, the Storm Trooper, an homage to the new Star Wars movie coming out in December! 
We quickly made some hot chocolate, I whipped up some Halloween caramel corn, and we had a party right in the living room watching the Disney version of Ichabod Crane-- which is our other favorite tradition. My kids love to be deliciously scared (as Anne of Green Gables would say), and that's the perfect Halloween movie to do just that! 

3 comments:

Tom said...

You do fun things for Halloween. Sometimes I think I'm married to Mrs. Crane. She's just not that into it.

Joan Morris said...

I love your jackolanterns and yay for Leah for being potty trained.

Jonathan said...

Hey, pumpkin carving is a time honored tradition that must be taken seriously. It's every man, woman, and child for themself!