Saturday, April 29, 2017

Easter Weekend (+ Where Did April Go?)

Time sure flies when you're having fun! I can't believe that April is almost over, and May will soon be here, which means only one more month of school left! Whoa! Lucy's music class put on a choir concert about all things H-A-W-A-I-I, which they've been studying about all year.  
Here's our beautiful hula girl ready to perform some of the sounds and songs of Hawaii!
She and some other girls came in early and stayed late in order to learn a Hawaiian hula. She was so nervous beforehand, but they did a beautiful job. Yay Lucy!
Here's Leah at her preschool egg hunt on Thursday morning. She had a blast, and I think those look like some pretty happy faces. Some of those little smiles crack me up!
Friday morning we picked up Whitney who had flown in the night before from Phoenix. We took her to the gym with us, and then got fish tacos for lunch at Wahoo's. The weather was phenomenal-- 75 degrees and sunny, and we even got to sit outside on the patio. Woohoo! This is springtime at its best. That afternoon we dyed Easter eggs with the kids once Lucy and Zach were home from school, and they were so happy to see Whitney!
Jon had to work Saturday, so Whitney and I ended up taking the kids to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. This is probably the 50th time I've said it, but man, I love that zoo! There are so many cool hands-on exhibits, and the layout is so picturesque, and I feel like the animals are happy. Probably not, but at least it makes me feel better...
Lucy giving that lioness in the background a number one.
Lizzie had a blast with the animals again, although she got knocked over by a hungry herd of goats running for food, so she wasn't as keen on petting them this time. She loved watching the orangutans play outside though. 
After the zoo and once Jon got back from work, we hired a babysitter and took Whitney to the shooting range. She wanted to try shooting some bigger guns, so we brought the rifle and the shot gun, as well as our hand guns. We're amassing quite an arsenal.
Look at that! I think it's safe to say we took that bad guy's head off with the shot gun. Exercising our 2nd amendment rights to bear arms for another exciting date night.
Next I'd really been wanting to check out this new dessert place featured on Shark Tank. It's called Cinnaholic, and is a completely vegan cinnamon roll shop, where you select your frostings and toppings etc.
It was yummy! This is the "Cookie Monster" with vegan cream cheese frosting, cookie dough chunks, and chocolate topping. We also got a plain cinnamon roll with mango frosting and it was delicious too. I honestly couldn't even tell it was all vegan-- it's amazing their frostings and dough are so delish without any eggs or dairy!
Sunday morning was Easter, and the kids woke up at the crack of dawn (literally), so I let them find their baskets and go back to bed. I told them they could eat as much candy as they wanted as long as they didn't come back out until 8 a.m.
We are not morning people, and usually my kids sleep in-- but of course since it was Easter they made an exception. Ha ha.

Here are the obligatory Easter Sunday pictures:
Lizzie, age 15 months
Zachary, age 8
Leah, age 4
Lucy, age 10 (going on 20)
Happy Easter 2017
That afternoon we had an amazing Easter dinner of ham loaf, funeral potatoes, lemon jello, salad, and no-bake cheesecake for dessert. It was so fun having Whitney here to help us celebrate Easter (and be our game warden with lots of rounds of Bohnanza and Cover Your Assets)! 
We did a quick Easter egg hunt with the eggs we'd dyed on Friday, and thankfully we found them all! No rotten eggs to uncover this summer.
I love springtime, and Easter is hands-down one of my favorite days of the year.
And this sweet little bunny would agree! She loved all the candy! We are so thankful we even have a reason to celebrate-- and feel eternally grateful for our Savior's life and sacrifices that make it possible for families to be together forever, and that we can live with Him again someday. Happy Easter!

5 comments:

Jonathan said...

Ha! First one on the comment board. I love Easter--especially the candy. Why don't they sell it year round? I'm glad you blog because all these memories would be lost if you didn't do it.

Joan Morris said...

Grandma Gabe would be so proud of Lucy learning the hula. I think it's a genetic gift. That's so fun that Whitney got to spend Easter weekend with you. The pics of the kids are so cute. Especially that one of Elizabeth in the bunny ears. Your Easter menu sounded just like ours ;) Yum! I too am so glad you blog!

Unknown said...

I love that you hide your dyed eggs. We did that too when growing up, and when Jeremy and I celebrated Easter together with Sophie for the first time, he thought it was so weird that I wanted to hide them. So we just do plastic eggs with jelly beans and save the dyed ones to eat later. Sounds like you had a nice Easter. Glad Whitney could celebrate with you all!

Tom said...

Ha! Fourth one on the comment board. Good thing there is Easter because April is my least favorite month. Keep the blogs coming or I won't even know you and your kids (how many do you have now?).

Unknown said...

Lizzie's Easter outfit is to die for! I love it. Lucy did such a great job with the Flat Stanley project! Eva was so excited to take it in and show her class. Her photo is hanging up in the hallway of the school.