Thursday, September 16, 2010

Out of the Mouth of Babes


Oh Boy! Kids say the darndest things! And I'm looking for the perfect answer here....I'm hoping that between the many moms (moms-to-be, new moms, veteran moms), friends, dads, grandparents etc. that frequent this blog I can somehow solicit a response or two to make my life easier! Let me explain: The curse of Waterfall ward playgroup struck again when after I'd already sworn it off following last week's disaster at the fire station, Wednesday morning dawned bright and boring. I figured since it was just at the park I'd have better luck with my kids and it should be no big deal, right? We showed up along with about 5 or 6 other moms and their kids and all seemed well, until a lady (very well-endowed, wearing a skimpy halter top and skimpy shorts) came over and sat down by us. She was COVERED in tattoos. And these weren't just your normal tats. She had a skull on fire with like a rose coming out of its mouth, a freaky electric blue Geisha head, fanged snakes, etc. It was a little intimidating, but she seemed nice enough and started complaining that whenever she went to playgroups in the area she'd found online, no one wanted to set up playdates with her. Hmmmmm. Mystery... Anyway, all these nice LDS moms were super sympathetic and were inviting her to come to ours, and getting her number to call about "other" activities (aka meet with the missionaries), and she was SO excited. Then Lucy comes up from playing and loudly asks, "Why does that lady have all that ugly drawing on her body?" Silence. "She looks scary!" Shock. "Why did she draw on her body? That's naughty!" Wow. I looked around to find someone to fill me in on some clever joke to make ammends, but all the other moms looked horrified! I tried to distract Lucy and get her to go back and play, maybe apologize, but you know kids! They are relentless and totally curious, and Lucy would not STOP. "Why did she draw on her body? I don't like them. It's scary!" Yeaaaah. So awkward! And I didn't know what to say! "She's quite the kidder! Ha. Ha." Just didn't seem to cut it. So, what do you say?!? What do you say when your 3 year old sees someone at Costco and loudly says, "Wow! That guy's HUGE!!" So. Embarrassing. Anyone know?? I've obviously talked with her about being polite and not making people feel bad-- we've even had FHE's on this subject, but kids have no tact!! Help!!

14 comments:

Gene and Silvia said...

This will be but for a short time, she has been taught the right thing. She understands her body is sacred, she is sensitive to the spirit or the lack there of when she sees it. The blessings you will recieve in the future will far outweigh the embarrasment of the moment. Much better to have that reaction than, "I want one of those!" I say congratulations Mom and Dad for teaching her the right thing.

Joan Morris said...

That's a tricky one, but kids will be kids. I think every Mom experiences it. There's not much you can do but try and change the subject and then get the heck out of there ;) Then have a nice, calm conversation with your child on "just because you think something doesn't mean you have to say it."

jor said...

Oh, Sara I'm sorry!! But don't feel bad about it. Everyone's kids do it and the people have to realize that kids are 100% honest and 100% innocent. I mean, could that lady actually expect a little girl to tell her that the tats were pretty? She'd have to have tinkerbelle and Ariel on her to hear those words. If she was offended it is her problem. Once a really really huge person was in our apartment building. She had to turn sideways to squeeze through the door and Colin yelled out and pointed "MOM!! Look at that FAT lady!" She totally heard and I just sat there. We do have the talk about not saying things that might hurt others feelings often and it seems to help them remember. Now Brannon just pulls me close and whispers it to me :)

Angela said...

Sara, sorry, but I just had to laugh reading your posts because it is so totally my life. :) Caleb is the worst, I constantly cringe whenever he opens his mouth to talk because I'm worried about what will come out. And honestly, with the three boys & a baby, I almost always get the "hands full" comments. I try to tell the kids only to say something if it's nice, or talk quietly to me and frankly-when my kids act less than perfect, I just smile. I still feel stupid, but at least I look happy right? :)I also try to keep the kids looking cute, because even if they're stinkers, at least they look like they're taken care of. :)

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Wow! They do outgrow that stage, if it makes you feel any better. I had a few 'moments' like that with Dorothy!

teresa said...

oh no, that is so tough! but i agree with everyone else, kids are kids and they don't mean anything by it. it sounds like your doing everything you can and eventually it won't happen anymore. you just hope that people understand that they're just kids.

i miss you!

teresa said...

oh no, that is so tough! but i agree with everyone else, kids are kids and they don't mean anything by it. it sounds like your doing everything you can and eventually it won't happen anymore. you just hope that people understand that they're just kids.

i miss you!

Tamar and Trevor said...

I feel your pain. When Emma was Lucy's age we were in Ross where a very large woman was wearing a very small flesh colored tank top. We had just had a family home evening on being modest and Emma pretty much decided to give the lesson to that lady and told he she should not walk around naked. I wished that I could sink right into the floor. When the initial embarassment wore off I was really grateful that she got the concept and to this day she is really good about making sure that her clothes are modest. Good luck and I miss you!

Alissa said...

OH SARA!!!!! Mortifying! You poor thing! I honestly wouldn't know what to do either, but I'm countin' my lucky stars that my kids are shy with strangers haha! I'm sure she'll grow out of it soon, it's natural curiosity:)

Tom said...

How about this one: "Hey,tell me about your tattoos!" I think those people that have a bunch of tattoos want people to see them, and they know that they will cause a response, whether good or bad. Also, there may be a reasonably coherent explanation for why a certain "scary" tattoo is there in the first place: "The dragon on my arm is to remind me that I can overcome all my fears." Sometimes I scare myself because I almost sound like I know what I am talking about . . . Can't wait to show you my new tattoos!

Emily Judd said...

oh man! that is just alittle embarrassing but maybe the lady understands??? i'm just waiting for the day this happens to me.

Shonna said...

I liked your dad's response. I'm sure it'll be happening to me sometime soon, so sorry. So how did next playgroup go? Did tattoo lady come?

Annette said...

No way! Maybe this is a good thing. Maybe she will be scared forever from getting a tatoo. Just take this as confirmation that you are teaching her the right things on how to take care of her body :)

Debbie said...

This is something I'm sure you'll laugh about in the future, but not so funny when you're there. We had gone to Joann's for some fabric around Halloween time a couple years ago and a lady was covered from head to toe (you've seen them around Philly, i'm sure). Anyways, one of the kids said, "look mom, a monster!" very loudly. I was so embarrassed, but it was October and they are kids. I laugh now, but it was very awkward.