Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Mormon Halloween

**SIDENOTE: I think I had a breakthrough. I figured out why instead of basking in this glorious record heat (it was 86 degrees today) I'm cursing it. I am so used to fall, and colder, crisper weather by this time that it feels like I'm in this insane time warp where no time has passed. How can it POSSIBLY be November if it feels like 90 degrees outside and I'm still in shorts and flip flops?!? My mind can't comprehend it!! I feel stuck in July-- particularly when I'm wanting this year to go by fast for Jon's sake, and it's like no time has passed since the day we got here because the weather has remained. the. exact. same. Picture the movie "Groundhog's Day." There's been no indication that Yes! we've made it through 4 months! Yes! The changing of seasons has indeed occurred! Yes! Christmas is around the corner! I just don't believe it....**

Anyway, we had a fun Halloween weekend, of which I've already posted a part (see post previous). But wait! There's more!

On Friday afternoon (Jon had the day off due to "Nevada Day"-- I *heart* made-up government holidays!!) we checked out Valley of Fire which is AMAZING, but unfortunately I forgot my camera. I could just kill myself! Moving on... That still wasn't enough mountaineering for Jon, so he elected to hike a different trail at Mt. Charleston on Saturday. I wasn't about to get left behind all day again so I proposed the wives meet the hikers (Jon and Paisley's dad) up there for a fall picnic when they got done. Some fall picnic!! Within a 45 min. driving distance apparently you can traverse 3 seasons. I told you this place is a time warp. We went from sunny 75 degree Las Vegas to snowy, FREEZING, 40 degree windy mountain top. Not such a fun picnic...


Brrrrr!! They started at 6 a.m. and got snowed on, hailed on, and then rained on. Awesome. All while it was nice and sunny here in the valley. I love Mt. Doom, er, I mean Mt. Charleston!

Sunday I was the Scrooge of the neighborhood and wouldn't let my kids go trick or treating, so we carved pumpkins instead. They didn't seem to miss out, and Lucy LOVED answering the door for trick or treaters!! Is that a double standard?


We also watched one of our favorite Halloween movies, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and gorged on Halloween candy. Par-tay!!

The finished product. This was mine. A very simple ghost face. Good right?

Jon did the Belle silhouette for Lucy. It was crazy-detailed with the strands of hair and everything, and I just happened to bust our only little pumpkin saw while I was rounding the corner on my ghost, so he was seriously knife-impaired. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Half-naked children (Lucy minus her shirt and Zachy minus his pants) waiting for trick-or-treaters. (Almost all of which were skanky pre-teen girls, so I'm rethinking my purchase of good chocolate, and buying Jolly Ranchers next year instead.)

Doing a happy sugar-induced jig! Please take note of the heavy chocolate drool all down his front. That's my boy!!

10 comments:

Tamar and Trevor said...

I love the chocolate drool and I and I love your side not about being stuck in a time warp...maybe that is my problem. I NEVER thought that I would miss the cooler weather.

teresa said...

fun! it looks like you guys had a great halloween.

Joan Morris said...

I think I would also have a hard time adjusting to somewhere that doesn't have a change of seasons. The change of seasons helps our body clock keep track of time. Cute pumpkins! I can't wait to see Valley of Fire ;)

Emily Judd said...

yep, I think that since we are used to the seasons, it TOTALLY throws us off track when the seasons aren't there! I was miserable in California with the 90 degree November weather.

Sounds like the perfect halloween!! I'm going to go google "Valley of Fire" :)

Unknown said...

What a great Halloween. We also played Scrooge. Except we turned off the lights and pretended like we weren't home. We so WISH we had the Icabod movie. We wanted to watch that so bad. Oh well. We'll have to get it next year and scare the wits out of our baby. Love the pumpkins...esp. Belle.

jor said...

Your pumpkins look great! you guys always have the best holiday stuff....like your gingerbread houses :) The hike looks beautiful but that sure is a change in temp!

Gene and Silvia said...

Love the pumpkin carving...sounds like you did great. Maybe Zach will defy his Cardon male heritage and be able to dance. I hope so....

Alissa said...

I concur with you & Tamar! I LOVE fall. Best season ever. Boo on this heat!!! Sounds like we had the same Halloween:) I was a scrooge too & we stayed home to carve pumpkins & watch spooky movies;) Nice & relaxing...plus, we had enough candy from trunk or treating to last us til Christmas! Lol!

Tom said...

Everybody needs a good "Mt. Doom" close by. And how about 3 cheers for chocolate drool!!!

Angela said...

Cute Halloween pics! I agree with you about the weather. I'm still having a hard time thinking about not having much snow for Christmas (after last year in Philly right :) but at least the weather is cold. And I would say that Ichabod is one of my all time favorite Halloween movies- i miss that one!