Thursday, February 10, 2011

Copy Cat Crafts

If I ran a business, that would be its name. I surfed the web, google image searching for vinyl-wood-craft-ideas and my Cricuting has taken off. I know this is kind of boring, but I think someday I'll like to look back down through the years and see that I was productive and crafty. So here goes, I'm recording it in the annals of my web log (and I think I hit just about every holiday along the way):

Easter/Spring

Christmas (the blocks with numbers are like dice, you can change the countdown everyday)

Independence Day (I messed up on the measurements for the wood for the star, which is annyoing but I still think it looks like a flag). Instructions at www.howdoesshe.com

Valentine's Day

*Here's a tip: I don't actually buy vinyl to do the word cut outs. It's too expensive and I mess up way too often. My friend Calli told me that contact paper (you know the stuff you line your kitchen drawers with?) works just as well and is SO much cheaper. You can buy a huge roll for about $6 or $7 in the kitchen section at Home Depot. Unfortunately it only comes in black or white, but still. Much cheaper than vinyl, and I think it's easier to work with because you can just peel the back off like a sticker, instead of all the rubbing with vinyl!

15 comments:

Joan Morris said...

So cute!! I love everything you've made. You are so creative and I love the contact paper idea. I need to come do crafts with you ;)

Unknown said...

Ooh! I'm totally digging the christmas countdown and the 4th of july ones. Were both on howdoesshe? I might have to copy you!

Kay Hinton said...

Honestly, who comes up with original ideas- crafts, recipes, etc, we all are copy cats. So cute, cute! You're ready for every season.

Tom said...

Note to editor: Please cut back on the crafty posts and get back to the outdoors and kids;)

Tamar and Trevor said...

Love it all!!! Contact paper is an awesome idea. I got a cricut for christmas but I have not been sure what to do with it. Vinyl is so expensive and I mess up all the time when I am just cutting cheap paper! I am sure that I will be copy catting several of your projects. I just wish that we could do them together!

Matt, Calli, & Dixon said...

Love them all!! You are so crafty!! I wish I was there to craft along with you!!! The cricut is the best huh!!!

teresa said...

check you out, they all turned out so dang cute! i want a cricut so bad, but i might just have to fly out to see you so you can teach me how to make these adorbs decorations!

Pal & Hatty said...

You do good work! They will become family keepsakes!

Shonna said...

LOVE THESE!!! Did it take forever to do them? They're adorable.

Sarah said...

Cute! I hope you get ME for Christmas. Maybe I'll rig it. Joan, I'll take care of the gift exchange "drawing" this year!

Alissa said...

You are SO cute & crafty! I love it all Sara! Hot dog! How do you do it?!?! They look so good! Yay for craftiness!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

You are amazing and talented!!

Emily Judd said...

so cute!! I love it! I'm totally a copycat crafter as well...how bout you give me a Cricut lesson sometime? mine is gathering dust and i just don't know how to use it!

Angela said...

Cute cute cute! I told Calli about the contact paper, but if you want to expand and use other colors another good option is to go to 'Sign' businesses. I found one out in Philly and she would let me take lots of her vinyl scraps for free and they have tons of colors!

jor said...

These are all SO cute....and who doesn't copy cat crafts?? I dont' knwo what I'd do without all the amazing ideas online. Keep posting the ones you do!!