Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ssssssprings Preserve!

This Saturday mommy got to pick where we went and what we'd get to do since it was Mother's Day weekend-- and I decided we'd check out Springs Preserve, which is a nature conservation area around Red Rock. They have some botanical gardens, outdoor walking trails, museum exhibits, and animal shows-- so I figured that combined with a picnic would be a perfect Saturday outing.

As soon as we got there we headed into a little theater to see some live animals, but being a few minutes late we ended up clear in the back standing. The emcee asked the audience if there were any kid volunteers who would be super brave, and Lucy immediately raised her hand really high (before I could knock it down:) because I don't know how else she was seen, and got PICKED out of like 50 people. I think I was way more nervous than she was since I HATE being in center-of-attention situations, but she hurried right up to the stage and closed her eyes, and held out her hands like this:


So they could put this HUGE snake in them. I thought when she opened her eyes she would totally freak out, but she just smiled and petted the thing. Holy moly! I know I would have PASSED. OUT. Maybe these snake charming skills will come in handy in the South where they have all those churches that feature those snakes (which determine whether you are holy or not). At least Luce would survive a sermon.


I was very proud of her for being so brave and letting it slither all over her, and for answering the lady's questions in front of everyone.

After the live snake encounter, the rest of the day was a bit anticlimactic, but we headed outside to look at the gardens and eat lunch.

We met our friends there from Jon's AEGD residency, so Lucy was glad to have a friend to play with-- and roll around with in their "carriage going to the ball."

I love the cactus around here! That is one thing we most likely will not find in the South. Jon keeps commenting on how great this spring has been without the terrible allergies he got back East with all the trees in bloom.

Zachy's favorite area was definitely digging in the sand for fossils. He could have dug out there all day. He needs a sand box!!

Lucy proudly showing off her newly discovered fossil. It was definitely a good place to spend a Saturday!

5 comments:

Whitney said...

I wish I could have been there! Looks like you had a lot of fun. I would have freaked out with the snake too but good thing Lucy is so brave...or just doesn't care yet. I loved your post and I love you!

Kay Hinton said...

Wow! Go Lucy! That's a great story.

Shonna said...

Wow! I can't believe she held a huge snake. That's crazy.

Joan Morris said...

Way to go Lucy!! Maybe she'll be the next Steve Irwin (well hopefully not).What a fun adventure!

Alissa said...

wow! Lucy is SO brave! I would die...snakes...(shiver). So cool!